Curriculum Intent

To provide an ambitious and high quality curriculum that inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport, and other physically and theoretically demanding activities. We will provide opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way that supports their health and fitness. The curriculum and extra-curricular provision will provide opportunities to compete in sport and other activities to build character and help embed values such as fairness and respect.

Key Stage 4

What will I learn?

The Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Sport has been designed to provide an engaging and stimulating introduction to the world of sport. The qualification builds on learning from Key Stage 3 for those who may wish to explore a vocational route throughout Key Stage 4. The course has three core units that all students must complete and then students complete one further, optional specialist units which will be selected at the beginning of the year.

Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Sport

Core Unit

  • Fitness for Sport and Exercise
  • Practical Performance in Sport
  • Applying the Principles of Personal Training

Optional specialist units

  • The Mind and Sports Performance
  • The Sports Performer in Action
  • Leading Sports Activities

How will I be assessed?

The Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Sport includes an externally assessed unit. This is in the format of an online exam.
The remaining three units will require evidence that can be generated through a range of activities, including workplace assessment, role play, practical performance and verbal presentations. This work will be in the format of assignments for each unit and will be assessed internally by the subject teacher.

75% of this course will be based on coursework and internal assessments, whilst the other 25% will be gained from the online assessment system.

Course: BTEC Sport Level 1/ Level 2 First Award in Sport
Exam Board: Edexcel
Exam Specification Code: 600/4779/3


Key Stage 4

Key Stage 4 Core PE

What will I learn?

Key Stage 4 PE is compulsory for all students.

There are a wide range of activities on offer and the Key Stage 4 PE programme is designed to maintain participation rates and to allow students to develop lifelong participation in various sporting activities.

Here is a list of some of the activities that have been provided for students at Key Stage 4:

  • Trampolining
  • Basketball
  • Handball
  • Football
  • OAA
  • Cricket
  • Handball
  • Softball
  • Ultimate Frisbee
  • Rounders
  • Athletics
  • Rugby
  • Table tennis
  • Health Related Fitness

 How will I be assessed?

There is currently no assessment for Key Stage 4 PE.

Year 10 Knowledge Organisers & Learning Journeys

Unit 1 Knowledge Organiser

Unit 1 Learning Journey

Unit 6 Knowledge Organiser

Unit 6 Learning Journey

Year 11 Knowledge Organisers & Learning Journeys

Unit 2 Knowledge Organiser

Unit 2 Learning Journey

Unit 3 Knowledge Organiser

Unit 3 Learning Journey